Purchasing & Logistics Associate
Thames & Kosmos (Providence, RI) is looking for someone to assist with all aspects of inventory planning and procurement. Our expert team (including a few office dogs!) publishes and distributes educational science kits, educational toys and board games.
This position directly supports the Purchasing & Logistics Coordinator and Director of Operations in all aspects of inventory procurement, purchasing, and management as well as import shipping logistics. As part of the operations team, this role involves close collaboration with our planning, product development, compliance, sales, and customer service teams. All responsibilities center around getting our customers the great product they need when they need it.
• Process, monitor, and track open Purchase Orders in our ERP system.
• Lead bi-weekly planning review to evaluate current demand vs. forecast and make purchasing recommendations.
• Maintain highly detailed, shared, schedule documents to accurately track shipment status and communicate arrival dates internally.
• Review and approve vendor sales confirmations to verify correct costs and production details.
• Optimize shipping container loading by working closely with suppliers to guide shipment details.
• Maintain continual communication with overseas suppliers to ensure production and shipment schedules are met.
• Coordinate with freight forwarders and logistics vendors to facilitate shipments including document administration.
• Verify vendor invoices are received and pricing is accurate.
• Coordinate inbound product notifications with our warehouse.
• Promptly perform inventory receipts when goods arrive; research and resolve receiving discrepancies.
• Work closely with Sales and Customer Service departments in managing inventory allocations to achieve continual, optimal, stock availability.
• Work with multiple freight forwarders to find cost-effective import shipping solutions for special/ expedited shipments.
Secondary Responsibilities (Assists the Purchasing & Logistics Associate):
• Maintain competitive import shipping rates by working with freight forwarders to continually review costs.
• Input and maintain product data in our ERP system and with our warehouse.
• Assist in the coordination and tracking of US product productions.
• Assist in finding and establishing relationships with new vendors as needed.
• Assist with oversight of product transitions with warehouse and internal sales/ customer service team.
• Review and approve import freight invoices to our accounting department.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in purchasing and logistics in the consumer products industry.
• Extremely well-organized with good personal systems for managing tasks and responsibilities.
• Exceptional attention to detail and ability to own and maintain shared schedules and internal instruction documents.
• Strong ability to prioritize responsibilities to effectively manage time and multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Willingness to look for new solutions and problem-solve when challenges arise.
• A desire to learn “big picture” aspect of the company to drive process improvement through analytical thinking.
• Pride, ownership, and accountability for work done.
• Experience with Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, Google Drive) recommended.
• Highly proficient in MS Excel. Familiar with Excel data management functions (pivot tables, lookups, etc.)
• Experience with SAP B1 and Valogix a plus. • German language fluency is a plus.
• Salary commensurate with experience. Full-time.
• Full company-paid health insurance, dental, and vision after successful completion of 90-day trial period
• Health club membership allowance.
• Generous vacation and sick day policy
• 401K available after one year of employment
• Cover letter
• Contact information (email address and phone number) for three references. One reference must be a past manager or supervisor.